4.20.2013

My first 5k and other ideas...

So I just ran my first 5k today. It was quite the spectacle. So many people showed up that the parking down by Monument Valley park could have been sold to the highest bidder.

This run was to help out some friends of ours. Holly Aldridge lost her husband on Dec 21, 2012 as he was jogging to work. This man who was a lover of Jesus and friend to everyone he met was simply promoted from this world to the next in a blink of an eye, doing what he loved to do.

He left a wife and 3 kids. He left a workplace that loved him. He left a whole cadre of friends that, quite frankly, are pissed that he's gone.

But I digress. Today we participated in this 5k in his honor, all proceeds going to Holly for her support. I heard that they raised over $10k to help with costs of living etc. and I could not be more pleased. I think Dave would be happy, too.

As I was walking/running with my son, I realized again how precious and short this life is. Sometimes it passes by far too quickly. Other times it drags along at a snails pace. But whether or not we have a short time on this chosen planet or a full and long life, I've concluded that with Jesus is the only true fulfillment once can receive.

Piles of money will not make you happy. A grande house will not make you happy. A bottomless checking account won't either. But time with Jesus and his love is a new thing. In Him is fullness of joy and peace. In him is the hope that only he provides.

And that is something my friend lived for. I hope to do the same!



No comments: