4.17.2013

Follow the Master

So there I was last night, sitting down after a particularly grueling day. Keeping in mind there are souls at work for the kingdom right now that would chuckle at that description of office work, I was still bushed from the work I've been doing at the office.

It was just before bedtime and I was talking with my bride. I say talking, but it was more of a complaining session.

She asked a very compelling question. Do I think God's next step for me was to change the work I was doing where I am or to send me to a new place to do something completely new? I pondered my response and stared blankly when I clearly heard this phrase in my soul, "Follow the Master."

Simple, right?


There was a time, early in my walk with Jesus, when I wanted to follow Him everywhere. My life was full of direction and, dare I say, adventure. The tasks I took on were simple, full of meaning and purpose. Not because the tasks were so great but because the Master infused every element of the task.

Then I grew old. Not only physically, but in my faith. I put my ship on autopilot and began to coast. The vigor began to dry up and the work became tedious and more complicated.

Fast forward to my conversation with my bride last evening. Once she had spoken and I had sensed the voice of the Master in my heart, I felt young again. I recalled the early days of a simple faith, those times of adventure and of fear--of not knowing the exact outcome. To borrow from the vernacular of chess, every move had been planned and endgame was reached.

So this morning I was reading in Matthew and came across this passage:

""Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace." click to read 
And I thought deeply about my response. If my life is not my own and I am truly to follow the master, the purest and best method is to be tuned into Jesus, simply allowing Hime to visit His grace on me.

Let's see where this leads...

No comments: